According to Wikipedia
Communication is the process of transferring information from a sender to a receiver with the use of a medium in which the communicated information is understood by both sender and receiver. Communication requires that all parties understand a common language that is exchanged.
I participate in virtual discussion forums and some of the members communicate using following sentences (they are grammatically correct).
- I beg to differ .... or I beg to disagree
- If you have queries, please contact the undersigned
- I hereby give my consent
- The undersigned does not carry any intentions to hurt you at all
- I beg you will consider the business well tonight and let me...
William Wordsworth's (1770 - 1850) poem "Daffodils" is a very popular poem and often taught in schools. Most of us must have studied during the school days. It has following paragraph
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
The third line means happy. In today's communication, you will be in trouble if you use it.
The point that I would like to make is one cannot use old English in today's business communication as it may not be appropriate. The key is that your communication should be persuasive and should be to the point. (No ambiguity and without lawyer's language).
The communication should be in active voice.
- I am enclosing instead of ........ Please find enclosed
- Please contact me instead of .... If you have queries, please contact the undersigned ....
- I accept instead of ..... I hereby give my consent
- I am sorry instead of .... I beg your pardon
- Please apply .. instead of ....The interested may thereafter apply in a prescribed format with stamp and seal from appropriate authority. ..... The application form should have instructions how to fill it.
I have found few tips that should of interest to you.
Your comments please... I would be happy to read it on my blog.
Do you like to be updated in Accountancy ?
You may also like to read
- Cultural Web - A big challenge 22-June-08
- Emerging role of Management Accountants
- Porter's Daimond
- Knowledge Process Outsourcing
- A lesson for every salaried employee
- A Leader should know how to manage failure
- Parables for our time
- What an Awesome Reply
- Steve Jobs' Speech in Stanford Ceremony
- Illogical Thinking
- Goal Setting About Your Career
- Magic Mantra of Warren Buffet
- How to Share Blog posts with friends
- Management Accountant Blog Home